It’s kind of hard not to sound like a “miracle salve” peddler from the early 20th century when describing the vast multitude of conditions treated by CBD. Unlike old Nestor from Dodge City and his “miraculous tonics,” though, CBD oil uses no cocaine, snake venom or anything else ridiculous to treat some of the most obscurely connected (or completely disconnected) health issues. In today’s world especially, consumers must be wearier than ever to avoid being suckered by scammers, so an air of skepticism is actually a healthy defense. Out of respect for your right to know the facts, then, we’ve made sure to provide authoritative sources for this list of five interesting CBD oil uses.
Especially if you’re on business, the last thing you want after a stressful plane ride or two is to deal with jet lag for another full day or more. First, a quick note on jet lag will help you understand CBD oil uses for the annoying issue. Jet lag is the disruption of your body’s natural sleep cycle due to the time-zone shift associated with traveling by air. Your brain has a special gland in it that determines when to stimulate the production of sleep-promoting chemicals based on how bright it is outside. Well, if you leave early in the morning to go to a time zone that is 6 or 7 hours behind, you’re bound to be stuck in daylight (or nighttime, depending on when you left) for much longer than usual. This is what throws your sleep schedule out of whack, making you feel highly fatigued.
Where does CBD come in, you ask? Well, it pretty much addresses every single symptom associated with jet lag, from anxiety, fatigue, headaches, soreness and of course, sleep irregularities. Most promisingly, though more research is still required in this area, is the way that CBD oil uses its “neuroprotective” effects to reduce the “oxidative stress” associated with jet lag. Basically, as the evidence is beginning to show, you won’t feel so scatterbrained because the CBD reduces the effects of both physical and emotional stressors on the brain.
Of course, we’re not telling you this to enable binge-drinking, but if you do happen to tie one (or two) on, CBD can help you recover as you try to find your wallet and keys.
A 2013 study published in Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior described the ability of CBD to significantly decrease alcohol-related neurodegeneration. The physiology of a hangover is actually pretty complicated, and as you may or may not know, it causes a nasty assortment of symptoms, chief among them brain-cell-killing. Here is what else you can look forward to while trying to get ready for church:
- Diarrhea – Because alcohol is a diuretic, which means that it dehydrates you by prompting the release of urine from your kidneys, you will likely experience a bout of diarrhea following a night of drinking. Vomiting is also associated with a loss of electrolytes.
- Hypoglycemia – One component to post-binge crankiness is a lack of sugar in the bloodstream. Alcohol consumption increases lactic acid content while decreasing the presence of glucose. In addition to feeling cranky, you may also notice weakness and fatigue.
- Sleep – Most people are aware that alcohol is a depressant, but many people wrongly assume that it will help you sleep if you have trouble. In truth, alcohol actually decreases the amount of high-quality REM sleep that you get, making you just feel tired the next day.
- Raging headaches– Finally, and most notably for many drinkers is the often brow-splitting headache. Alcohol is a vasodilator, meaning that it will increase blood flow to the brain. Researchers are also debating whether or not alcohol’s influence over several neurotransmitters can contribute to the headache.
CBD oil uses antioxidants and other helpful agents to interact with receptors in the brain that regulate hangover symptoms. The immediate benefit for you is, of course, a less severe hangover. The long-term benefit, if you are a frequent drinker, is protection from significant degeneration.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
OCD is a complex neurological condition that is difficult to diagnose for a number of reasons. First of all, it often accompanies other psychological disorders. Also, like most disorders of the mind, measuring its effects in the body is troublesome at this point. The exact cause is still unknown, but we do know how to identify compulsive Behavior. Generally, OCD sufferers will justify their compulsions with irrational beliefs – if they don’t follow through with the compulsion, something terrible will happen. Compulsions can take many forms, and they often seem irrational to the outside observer. An OCD person may always turn left three times, for example, instead of turning right. So, how did OCD make this list of CBD oil uses?
A 2015 study published in Neurotherapeutics confirmed the “anxiolytic,” or anxiety-reducing potential of CBD by reviewing results from several preclinical trials. These trials examined CBD oil uses for a number of disorders under the “anxiety umbrella,” not just OCD, including depression, generalized anxiety disorder, PTSD and more. The results indicated that CBD oil uses endocannabinoid receptors in a certain region of the brain (limbic, if you’re trying out for jeopardy) that regulate anxiety. These receptors aren’t designed to create anxiety disorders, of course – stress and anxiety are imperative to survival when below a certain threshold. The CBD simply regulates the signaling from these receptors to decrease anxiety.
Until very recently, both the layman and medical professional’s understanding of menopause was relatively tunnel-visioned. A woman “of a certain age” stops ovulating, she has some hot flashes, and it’s done. In actuality, pre- and post-menopause can last for years, and are distinguished by a whirling array of symptoms that can hang out for months or just hit you in the middle of brushing your teeth for a mighty fine “top of the mornin’ to ya.” With respect to ALL phases of menopause, let’s take a look at how CBD oil uses the brain and body’s symphony of chemicals/hormones to treat the most common menopause symptoms:
- Sore, Inflamed Joints – You’re not ignorant. You realize the time for pre-menopausal symptoms is approaching, and you’ve mentally prepared yourself for some hot flashes and irritability. But what in the name of your old physics professor’s neckbeard is all this joint pain about? It’s not arthritis, it’s menopause. No worries, CBD oil uses its anti-inflammatory capabilities to treat joint pain for menopausal women, too.
- Weight Gain and Glucose Spikes – The lack of estrogen associated with menopause has unfortunate effects on the metabolism – namely, slowing it down. Even the most diligent of efforts to adjust workout routines and dietary choices will only help so much. What’s worse (we promise the encouraging part is coming), the greater proportion of abdominal fat increases your vulnerability to diabetes and heart disease. Okay, now to the encouraging part: CBD oil uses specific receptors in the brain, PPAR-γ, to decrease the amount by which your metabolism is slowed. Furthermore, it can actually decrease your body’s resistance to insulin, preventing diabetes. Yes, really.
- Mood Fluctuations – Man, the CBD oil uses for menopause alone could fill volumes, so we will round it off at one of the most misunderstood symptoms: mood swings. Menopause is not like a switch – the estrogen supply doesn’t just disappear overnight. It builds up in your system, and then drops to a very low level, repeating this cycle for months or even years before it’s actually gone. This process can actually alter your brain’s structure, changing the way you adapt to stressors. As mentioned above, CBD has been objectively proven to possess anti-anxiety potential. CBD oil facilitates your brain’s production of serotonin to decrease depressive thought patterns and increase mood stability.
Last among our list of interesting CBD oil uses is osteoporosis, the all-too-common bone disease affecting more than 200 million people across the globe. Alright, you may be thinking, I’ll buy the menopause thing, but how the heck is an herbal supplement going to combat osteoporosis? First, let’s learn a little bit about osteoporosis.
Bones aren’t just these solid rods that never change after they form. They are actually “spongy” beneath the surface (that is the actual medical term referencing bone tissue, no joke), always absorbing and giving off phosphorous and other nutrients so that they can grow, change, adapt to stressors and so forth. In the case of osteoporosis, your body cannot strengthen bones as fast as it is losing density, resulting in a bone density deficit.
As it turns out, the endocannabinoid system has a very strong influence over the processes of building up and protecting bony tissue. According to a study published in a 2012 edition of Frontiers in Endocrinology, CBD oil uses both the CB1 and CB2 receptors to moderate the effects of aging and testosterone or estrogen loss on bone density (a leading cause of osteoporosis). In other words, when the hormonal shifts that cause osteoporosis begin to occur, you can use CBD during this time period to decrease the resulting loss of bone density, hopefully preventing or at least lessening the severity of osteoporosis.
If we want to see more CBD oil uses and, dare we jinx it, widespread FDA approval and regulation, we need to keep spreading the love. Research it, try it, recommend it, and support research initiatives to uncover new CBD oil uses. Until then, make sure to always verify your seller’s reputation, where they source their products, and how they treat their customers.